Friday, March 26, 2010

Mass (Colder, Darker Matter)

  
  
#85
03.26.10
  
Photo

Mass (Colder, Darker Matter), 1997
Cornelia Parker
Burnt wood, wire, string
Phoenix Museum of Art
  
{From the placard for the piece in the museum}     This installation is constructed from the charred remains of a Texas church that was struck by lightning.  The London-based artist conceived of and created the work while resident at ArtPace in San Antonio.  Featured in the 1997 Turner Prize Exhibition at the Tate Gallery (London), the work was described in the exhibition brochure as "chunks and splinters of charcoal suspended from the ceiling to form the illusion of a cube, dense at the center, thinning at the edges.  It appears at once flat and three dimensional, but never solid, almost disintegrating before our eyes."
  
The title, in part, refers to the scientific term "cold dark matter" used to describe the unquantifiable in the universe.  "Mass" suggests not only a spiritual gathering, but also the solids and voids that are basic elements of  sculpture.  The artist also thinks of this work as a charcoal drawing, or an abstract painting against a white background.
 
 
 
 
 
If I only spent 45 minutes staring at this piece, (when I first saw it in 2007  I stared at it for at least 30 minutes), than I am deeply ashamed for not having spent triple that.  It remains one of the finest pieces of art, from conception to execution, that I have ever seen.
 
Thank you, Cornelia Parker.  You have demonstrated definitively what we already know; acts of destruction are also acts of creation, given proper perspective and effort.

Happiness from tragedy.

Order from chaos, even.
 
So nice.
 
Music
 
Fake Empire - The National
   

3 comments:

  1. That is so amazing!!! I wish I could see that in person. I shuddered when you mentioned Texas and Lightening in the same sentence. That is one of my biggest fears living in Texas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Brenda! Thanks for your comments. Do you really get that much lightening in Texas? It's been so long since I've experienced a thunder storm, I almost don't remember what it is like. We obviously get huge storms her in Alaska, but rarely lightening. I'm glad you liked the installation... I am just in awe of it too. CCE

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chris! Sorry I forget to look to see if you made a comment after me! Yes we do! It is sooo scary! I literally have to sit up all night long until the storm is over (yes they usually happen during the night). I seriously would love storms with the thunder and rain, but that lightening just ruins it for me. A house in the next neighborhood got hit last year and burned to the ground. On the news they usually talk about a house getting hit. See, can you tell it is a huge deal for me! Sorry for all the details! So are the pieces strung together on a clear string? I just don't understand how she did that. AMAZING!!

    ReplyDelete

Followers


View My Stats