Thursday, January 28, 2010

Sleepytime




#28
01.28.10

*Note:  A far brighter mind than the one I possess has expertly suggested that I break up my blog in to separate divisions.  In this way, those individuals more interested in reading about how and why I chose a particular photo, but not the endless ramblings about music, and vice versa, can go to the preferred areas.  I'll break it up in to two or three divisions depending on the day; Photo, Music, and Loosely Applicable Thoughts.  Thanks for the suggestion!

Photo

If reincarnation were real, I'd love to be reincarnated as one of T's cats.  Perhaps I can illustrate her devotion to these cats by pointing out that I am allergic to cats, yet still have three of them sharing space under my roof.  The issue is clear: I will enter a shelter or be adopted out long before any one of our cats suffer the indignity of it all.

I took this photo of Benson, our second oldest Himalayan cat, resting in front of the fireplace just his morning around 9 a.m.  I just love that blue light reflecting through the fireplace glass.  I love his ever-gentle globes for eyes.  True, he doesn't care for me at all... but I like him anyway.  What can I say?  Cats are different than dogs, and this one happened to pick T as his Assigned Human.

I like Jack Byrnes' position statement when he questions his soon-to-be son-in-law Gaylord Focker about why he likes dogs more than cats.  "You prefer an emotionally shallow animal? ... The dog is very easy to break, but cats make you work for their affection.  They don't sell out the way dogs do."

Bonus photo Overbaked sepia-tone of los trés gatos in front of the fireplace (I was trying to antique it... but was unsuccessful):



Music

Wynton Marsalis is a polarizing figure within Jazz.  Some experts opine that he talks better than he plays, while others believe him to be a virtuoso on the trumpet.  He is the current Artistic Director for the Lincoln Center, and in my novice opinion, I happen to be on the "he's a virtuoso" side of the fence in regards to his talent.  I love this track, When It's Sleepytime Down South, and think it matches the blue light bathing my Gentle Ben in today's photo quite expertly.  The song was written in the 1930's, and Louis Armstrong popularized it with dozens of different recordings.

Loosely Applicable Thoughts

The average Alaskan might be categorized as outdoorsy, whether they be Alaska Native or an Alaska Transplant (people like me).  Obviously some Alaska Natives take outdoorsy to a whole different level with subsistence lifestyles that have been practiced beautifully for thousands of years.

It is widely assumed that you must have a regular winter activity to stay sane in Alaska, so I am often asked what my winter sport is.  My response, "Relaxing", usually spawns the most piteous expressions.  You might think I've just told them my name is Tod Lubich.

Don't get me wrong... I truly enjoy those long summer days that stretch nearly 20 hours.  We hike the Byron Glacier trail, or go on long drives.  I watch college baseball summer league play at Mulcahy Stadium, or play with my Q at the nearby elementary schoolyard.  While I admittedly tend to avoid activities that might induce sweating, I remain active in my own way.  

So I build up a sleep deficit during the summer, and I get off track with my real passions - reading, writing, music collecting, etc.  In other words, I prefer intracranial exercise to the eco-sports or physical exercise.  Society would have me be ashamed to admit this, but luckily I don't hold Society and it's mandates in too high esteem.  It is for these reasons that I begin to anticipate winter around August, when fortunately it starts to turn cooler anyway.

There must be something medical in the blue winter light I look forward to most mornings and evenings.  It quiets  my mind, soothes my headaches and lowers my pulse.  On any given day I will listen to one or two full albums, do crossword puzzles, read chapters from a book (the latest on is a brilliant exploration of the battle between Faith and Reason called Descartes' Bones by Russell Shorto - a gift from my good friend / professional and book club colleague K.A.B.), etc.  None of which is allowed to conflict with my main passion and priority, namely, being a present father for my boy Q.

Until tomorrow... thank you for looking, listening and reading.   CCE

3 comments:

  1. You need to add the reaction [ cute ] and then I would have checked that for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the suggestion, brenda - i'll do it! :) i think i'll add "interesting", too... and remove either "lame" or "ugly" since everyone is too nice to click on those...

    ReplyDelete

Followers


View My Stats