Friday, February 12, 2010

Diamonds in the Sky

     
       
#43
02.12.10
    
Photo
    
This photograph was taken through a dirty glass window on the 5West unit of Alaskan Native Medical Center, facing West.  There was a heavy cloud cover high in the sky, but smaller clouds beneath that which lit up like diamonds as the Sun dropped beneath the cloud cover for just a few minutes before hiding behind the Alaska Range.  It was simply gorgeous.  I hadn't been there one minute before several other doctors, nurses, orderlies and patients were gathered around smiling at the beauty of it all with me.
    
It all began a few minutes earlier when I was on the 2nd floor in the ICU doing an inpatient consult after wrapping up my outpatient clinic.  I looked up to speak with a nurse and behind her was the most amazing alpenglow on the Chugach range.  We both walked over to a recently vacated room (a graduate of the ICU, who-hoo!) and I took these photos:
    
 
 View through the window.
   
 
 Alpenglow on the Chugach Mountains.
   
After these photos were taken it dawned on me that there was probably an amazing sunset over the western Alaska Range, so I jumped up to the 5th floor for a look.  That's were I got the featured photo, and here is one more taken when the sky was just a bit higher over the horizon:
   
    
Looking northwesterly from the 5th floor I had a nice view of Mt. Susitna absolutely glowing.  You can see the humble skyline of downtown Anchorage in this shot, too.  I cropped it down quite a bit, and that's why the resolution is particularly crappy.  But if you kind of squint your eyes, you might think it's an impressionist's painting of downtown Anchorage and Mt. Susitna:
   
  
Music
        
How is it that I pride myself on knowing good music, often times before the masses, yet I had never heard of Katie Melua before a few weeks ago?  A great friend with a kindred ear sent me a link to her track Belfast (Penguins and Cats), and I've been slowly checking out her musical catalog as able ever since.  The fact is she is a remarkable vocalist with a pure voice.  In today's featured track she covers the Beatles Lucy in the Sky (With Diamonds).  
   
She was born in Georgia of the former U.S.S.R., but was raised since a little girl in Ireland.  She moved to England when she was 16, and has been a big star there and across Europe ever since.  As far as I know she hasn't "hit" yet in the U.S., but it's just a matter of time.  A big Thank You to my friend for hooking me up with her music!
 
Because this is such a cool, classic and psychedelic track, I thought it would be acceptable to post an alternate cover version that perhaps you had not yet heard.  Right after Melua's cover, and if you stay on the blog long enough, you'll hear Bono of U2's cover of the same song.  His recording was a part of the soundtrack for the film 'Across the Universe', which features a compilation of covers from the Beatles catalog.
  
Parting Comments
  
I wouldn't necessarily place today's featured photograph amongst the greatest to date in this blog... but I thought the small clouds sparkling beneath the heavy, dark clouds above was pretty enough.  I especially liked the idea of pairing it with the featured song today.  And I particularly liked the idea that somewhere up there with those diamonds in the sky, even as I type this, my parents and my youngest brother are flying to the Top of the World for a visit.  What fun!  We'll eat the finest dried game meats, and there will be mugs of melted ice for all.  We may even have some Krispy Kremes (if they bring them from America).

I have been playing between 6 and 13 running Scrabble boards over Facebook with my Mother since last April.  I simply won't know what to do when we are able to play face to face.  And if the doctor professor CQE gets involved... it's lights out for the rest of us.  He takes no prisoners.  I think the last time I wept openly was after a few games of Boggle with him when I was a college student.  I believe my highest scoring word was "aniline"; his was "annihilation".
  
Until tomorrow... thank you for looking, listening and reading.  CCE
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers


View My Stats