Sunday, February 7, 2010

Snow and Lights

  
  
#38
02.07.10
  
Photo
  
After a week spent battling sinus congestion and trying to get by at work and in this blog, I awoke this morning feeling quite a bit better.  And it was a good thing, because fresh snow awaited my attention outside on the walkways and driveway.  
 
I usually enjoy snow removal, because it's a great time to listen to music and be out in the cold.  Two of my favorite things!  Today I was listening to the Silversun Pickups on random play, because I tend to favor faster / louder music when I'm working.  It wasn't enough, however, to distract me from the beautiful light patterns on the snow caused by spot lamps in our landscaping.

Again I am struck by the observation that beauty abounds, and it just takes a moment to look around and notice it.  In the least likely of places or most frantic of times, beauty does indeed abound.  Piloting this blog has taught me that; because now I'm always looking for that next potentially interesting and beautiful shot to post here.  I hope I remember that observation down the line.

I like a few things about today's featured photo.  First, I'm drawn to the flowing light which suggests the aurora borealis.  Secondly I like how the margins seemed "fuzzed out", and the crest of white crystals is in sharper focus.  No tampering involved... all iPhone camera magic smothered in goodness.

Here are some bonus photos from the same 'shoot':

 
 Snow on Fire


 
 This looks like a strange cloud pattern to me.

These next shots are 'pulled back' to show the area and lamps I was photographing:

Close to the garage...

 Walking toward the front door.

Music

Snow and Lights by Explosions in the Sky (EITS) is a beautiful piece that I could leave on 'repeat' for hours at a time.  The band is a post-punk instrumental project based out of Texas.  I really like their work.  They remind me a lot of the Dirty Three, another excellent instrumental trio band.  EITS have left a strong enough impression on me that even while listening to the Silversun Pickups and snow blowing / shoveling / sweeping, I could hear this song in my head as the soundtrack to the photos I had just taken. 

Parting Comments

Tomorrow (when this entry posts) is Super Bowl Sunday; the Saints vs. the Colts.  I considered playing Louis Armstrong's When the Saints Go Marching In, Jan Hammer's Miami Vice, Johnny Cash's Like a Young Colt, or Super Bowl Sundae by Ozomatli for today's soundtrack.  But fortunately I went with Explosions in the Sky after I found a clue hiding under the couch cushions next to a delicious cheese puff, a stray piece of fruit leather and what I thought were two pieces of popcorn (after I put everything in my mouth I realized those last items were actually dehydrated marshmallows).  

I know the sentimental favorite for the game is the New Orleans Saints, but it's hard for me to imagine that the smartest guy in the NFL (Manning) who has had several weeks to plan, and already has big game experience and one ring, won't find a way to win.  I really like Drew Brees, too... so I'll be happy for either team to win.  I know there are coaches and supporting players on each team, but let's face it!  Quarterbacks win and lose games, not the coaches.  Go ahead and ask Brad Childress 'exactly who wins and loses games?'; he'll give it to you straight up, no chaser.  

So best of luck to both teams in the Super Bowl.  Too bad it won't be my Eagles for yet another year.  Fortunately for me, next year is the Eagles' year, so I have that to look forward to.

Until tomorrow...  thank you for looking, listening and reading.  CCE
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers


View My Stats