Monday, February 22, 2010

Star Wars / 2Wicky

   
     
#53
02.22.10
   
Photo
  
Today I had the pleasure of accompanying Q to a birthday party at the Anchorage Museum of Art for one of his favorite classmates.  The party had a Star Wars theme in honor of the new exhibit Where Science Meets Imagination hosted by the museum.  I think the adults in the group were every bit as excited as the kids were to see the exhibit.  Admittedly, I was never that big in to Star Wars, but the idea of viewing it from a scientific perspective certainly piqued my curiosity.
  
It was difficult capturing an image I  could be proud of in the low lighting conditions... but I ended up liking this snow creature Wampa from Hoth the most.  I don't remember him from the movies, and he's sort of mysterious in his extreme ugliness.  When I first saw him in the glass case, I thought I recognized him as a guy who sat by me on the Broad Street line subway to a Phillies game at Veteran's Stadium about 12 years ago.  I still think this guy may have been him, or perhaps his uncle.
     
Here are some other shots from the exhibit:
      
C3PO is a disco king.
    
 
C3PO without his metallic gold dancing suit. 
    
 
 I like the reflection of a Storm Trooper in this image of Darth Vader.
    
  
Q's favorite costume.
    
  
Millenium Falcon
      
Advertisement for the exhibition in the 5th Avenue Mall.
    
Music
   
I have never heard a single other soul mention Hooverphonic in my life, but I quite like them.  I've always loved the spacey ambiance of this track 2Wicky, and thought it would pair nicely with my Star Wars pics.  I was introduced to the band and the song when T and I watched Stealing Beauty by Bernardo Bertolucci at the Ritz - Bourse movie theater in Philly back in '96 or '97.  I purchased two albums by  Hooverphonic based entirely on the strength of this one song.
 
Even still, selecting the music for today's entry was no easy feat, and I'd love to hear any comments on musical pairings that you might come up with.
  
Parting Comments
  
I could not help but think of one of my cousins-through-T who absolutely loves Star Wars.  The guy knows everything about everything in Star Wars, and I would have loved to have him along to point some things out to us along the way.  We missed you, R.R.!  And I'm thinking our nephew A.O. present could have been super-handy, too.  
 
There were a lot of neat hands-on science projects in the exhibit; everything from magnetic levitation to limb prosthetics and robotics.  The fascinating take-home point was to note that sometimes life really does imitate art.
 
Until tomorrow... May The Force Be With You.  {?}  CCE
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers


View My Stats