Friday, February 26, 2010

Tropical Window

   
   
#57
02.26.10
  
Photo
   
This is a photo that I shot while on Bonaire Island last month.   T, Q and I were walking along a brick sidewalk, and this view stopped me dead in my tracks.  If the paint weren't chipping a bit, it wouldn't be so fine.  If there were no shadows of palms, it wouldn't be so beautiful.  If the yellow wasn't this precise shade, it wouldn't be the same.  If the upper right window slats weren't open while the others are all closed, it wouldn't be as captivating.  Just a lovely image.
  
Here's another view:
  
Remind me why I don't live in Bonaire a few days per month?
    
Music
      
For a guy who loves jazz above all other musical genres, I sure haven't been featuring much of it.  So today that issue gets addressed in high fashion.  
    
St. Thomas by Sonny Rollins (tenor saxophone) is one of the most wonderful jazz recordings you will ever get to hear, in my opinion.  He recorded it on the amazing album Saxophone Colossus in 1956, and is one of his best known compositions.  He will turn 80 years old this year, and is still out there playing and recording.
  
Too bad he didn't name this song "Bonaire", right?  But we had just been in St. Thomas a few days earlier, and the vibe was no different between those two gorgeous isles. 
    
Parting Comments
   
It has snowed a few buckets today, which of course is lovely... but walking somewhere between the hospital and my snow-covered car out in the parking lot; or at some point circling the car with a brush and feeling my socks get wet while wearing my my finest black patent leather dress shoes hidden in the snow... I decided I could use a little Caribbean flash-back.  Thus today's blog entry photo and musical selection.  Perhaps you have longed for little sunshine for your eyes and ears, too?
 
Until tomorrow... Blow, Sonny, blow!  CCE
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers


View My Stats