Sunday, April 4, 2010

Jubilation

  
     
#94
04.04.10
   
Photo
   
I know what you're thinking... "Predictable.  Colored eggs on Easter".
   
Yeah, pretty predictable.
  
But I like color, and there was color to be had on this day.
 
  
  
Music
 
Jubilation - Cannonball Adderley
 
No matter your background; a day like today just might be cause for Jubilation.  
 
Easter.
 
Spring weather.
  
Sunday.
  
Baseball.
 
Yeah, you heard me... Baseball.  
 
First game of the 2010 Regular Season tonight; Spankees v. Red Sox at Fenway Park.
  
Sublime.
 
Nah... Jubilation! 
 
This shot was taken as I worked on today's blog entry when Kevin Youkilis, BoSox 1st Base came to the plate v. C.C. Sabathia in the 6th.  At that time it was 5-2 Spankees; by the end of the at bat it was 5-4 with Youkilis standing pretty on third.  Sweet!  Then newly acquired BoSox 3B Adrian Beltre came up and swatted a single to score Youkilis, making it a fresh game at 5-5 going in to the 7th.
 
 Q celebrating Yoooooooooouk's triple.
 
I have been a big fan of Cannonball Adderley for some time now, and I prefer his sweet alto saxophone to that of Charlie "Bird" Parker's, or even the tenor sax of John Coltrane.  
  
Q and I listen to Cannonball's Somethin' Else almost every Saturday at least once; and sometimes on repeat for hours.  It is my favorite jazz album wire-to-wire.
 
This song comes off his 7th recording, Cannonball's Sharpshooters (1958), and his all-star lineup included the legendary Jimmy Cobb on drums.  Cobb is the last surviving member of Miles Davis' best-of-all-time Quintet (the one that recorded Kind of Blue), and I had the privilege of watching him play live with the Ramsey Lewis Trio here in Anchorage 2009.
 
Ah... Jazz and Baseball.  As Ken Burns also knows; this is a match made in heaven.
 
Jubilation, indeed!
    
CCE
      
Addendum:  As I finish this entry and post it, the Spankees have come back with 2 in the 7th to make it 7-5, bad guys.  But then Steven Tyler of Aerosmith came out with whom I presume to be his daughter, and belted out a decent rendition of God Bless America.  We'll see if that sets a charge in the BoSox. 
  
I'm on record (with those who know me) of loathing both Steven Tyler and his Aerosmith band... but if the BoSox pull this out, I promise on the fresh grave of this morning's box of Cap'n Crunch that I will feature an Aerosmith tune in this blog!  

Of course, if the BoSox lose I can safely blame it on Tyler for screwing things up.  So either way, I'm safe.  And either way, I win... because Baseball is BACK!

{Note: there is a significant chance that this will be my final blog entry until November, such is my addiction to the Grand Old Game.}
  
Addendum to my Addendum:  Just as I was preparing to click "PUBLISH POST" a second time, that scrapper Dustin Pedroia, 2B Bosox, MVP of 2008, stepped up to the plate and blasted one over the Green Monster in left field to bring the score back to 7-7.

Steven Tyler - have I misjudged you all these years?!  One more run and I'll be singing "Dream On" to the Yankees in fortississimo.

And just as I type THAT, Youkilis comes back to hit a double off the Monsta!  HOORAY!!!!!  I better post this now and turn of the computer, or I'll burn out my keyboard, let alone your patience.

 LET'S GO RED SOX!!!!!!!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers


View My Stats